I’ve been patient and working with the Onone Software Perfect Layers 1 and now version 2.x programs for Windows Vista 64 bit, but have experienced numerous crashes of the program without remedy. But, I’ve experimented some and have found a way to make it work! If you’re having the same issues, then read on…
Let me just say that when it works, it is an amazing product and helps tremendously with photos – eliminating the need to buy Photoshop. But the endless string of crashes had made it impossible for me to use it. I had version one and it worked fairly well, but version two was crashing all of the time on my Windows Vista 64 bit system.
I’ve experimented on it to get it to work, and have found a way that seems to work for now:
- Find the Perfect Layers program in your Windows, programs, OnOne folder.
- Run the program from the “Programs (x86)” folder and not the “Programs” folder.
- Right click on it and select properties.
- In the properties window, go to the compatibility tab.
- On the compatibility tab in the compatibility mode section, select “run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 2).”
So far, this method is what works for me on Windows Vista 64 bit.
The OnOne Perfect Layers software is incredibly good and I’ll post a tutorial soon that shows what can be done with this amazing program!
[Update Feb 2014: Unfortunately the newest version of OnOne Perfect Photo Suite requires substantial memory, more than Lightroom or Photoshop, to operate, and I will be moving away from this software and company in favor of swifter operating software.]